Friday 12 April 2013

New Zealand 3


As with the North Island, my plan was   -   provided Frank was up for it   -   to try and see as much of the South Island as possible and to give you an idea of my task, the South Island is over 500 miles long, (about the same as Cardiff to Inverness), and has over 3,500 miles of coastline, whereas Wales has less than 750 miles, there are no motorways and about 15 miles of dual carriageway!! It is also a bit hilly, the Southern Alps dominate most of the middle of the island and these peak at Mt Cook, over 3,500 metres, Snowdon is just under 3,500 feet !!

The 3 ½  hour ferry trip from Wellington to Picton across the Cook Straits is renowned for being quite rough from time to time, but on the day that I sailed it was a beautiful day and the sea was like a millpond,  it was great to travel somewhere without driving. Arriving in the Marlborough Sounds, the entrance to the South Island, is really dramatic. It starts with pretty, gentle mounds that rise from the waves but these are quickly replaced by huge forested hills that flank both sides of the narrow twisting waterways, punctuated by islands, inlets and beached coves. Even before reaching the port you realise that the South Island is going to live up to the hype ...... and how!!

 

The ferry docked in Picton, a picturesque town, incidentally named after a Welsh associate of the Duke of Wellington, killed at the battle of Waterloo, where the inhabitants feel a little upset that people arriving there fail to spend time to appreciate it, being too keen to press on with their travels. The fact is that, although undoubtedly pretty, it is also very small and the best feature is the surrounding waterways that of course you have experienced for the last 90 mins before arriving there.
 

 I had the courtesy to spend an evening in the local hostelry and was rewarded by my first New Zealand earthquake!!  To be honest, had I not been told I would not have realised, but some of the bar staff were a bit excited but it was an excuse to start conversation and I took the opportunity to ask for advice to get the most out of South Island.

 I was advised that there was a terrific scenic route to the west of Picton called Queen Charlotte Drive, although very few of them had been too far west, and none of them had ever been to, but all talked fondly of, Golden Bay in the far corner of the island which seemed quite an interesting area, and where I decided to go. Having not actually got to the absolute top of the North Island, I also thought I might try to get to Farewell Spit, the most northerly point of South Island.

The next morning I set off, mindful that I was ignoring the more popular and easier drive through the Marlborough wine routes of the east coast, but, with my love of Sauvignon Blanc, I was really worried that I would not get further than Cloudy Bay if I went that way.

 I have found a link to a short video about the first part of the road that may be interesting


Another 100kms on you reach Takaka Hill, listed as the 3rd greatest drive in New Zealand, which you need to cross to access Golden Bay. It is an enormous climb to over 2,600 feet with breath taking views from the top. The local council, aware that this presents a big challenge to getting people into Golden Bay have commissioned all manner of products branded with the catch phrase, ‘It s only a hill, get over it’ but still up to 90% of New Zealanders have never been there.

Activities in South Island are far more centred around the countryside and walking, or tramping as it is known here, is hugely popular, but their ideas of this pastime are a little more intense than ours. Decent tramps are usually at least a day, with some taking a week!! Little overnight huts are available to stay in, administered by the Dept of Conservation, but are very Ray Mears like and expertise in bushcraft is required as an essential skill before even attempting the more serious ‘walks’. Needless to say I have not attempted these, but have tackled a few 5/6 hour circular routes that have been very rewarding.

Roads to the more remote places are very dusty, bumpy, gravel tracks, many are unfenced, single lane, cliff hugging, adrenalin pumping affairs, but usually the destination takes your breath away. Frank has done me proud – what a machine! Not always the most comfortable ride, as I think that the rear suspension is shot on the off side, and the door vibrates a bit too much for my liking when you are close to a cliff edge, but once you learn to select gears rather than rely on the automatic box the jobs a good ‘un. Betty however, continues to cause me grief (more on this next blog!!) and has little clue off road.

The whole size and extent of the lakes, mountains, forests, coastline is hard to express and the colours, smells and sounds that you encounter permanently evolve as you travel. I cannot begin to capture it all here and even the pictures I take don’t truly represent what I’ve seen, but they do remind me and the memories will stay with me for a very long time. It really is awesome!


 

Now I hope I am not turning into a fuddy duddy but I found myself momentarily frustrated the other day at the antics of youth.

I was stood with a few others on MacDonalds Peak mountain lookout, gazing in awe at the majesty of the Southern Alps as the sun burned off the last remnants of the hanging, morning mist, the cries of the eagles, circling above us was all that disturbed the tranquillity as we absorbed the picture postcard beauty before us.
 

Meerkat-like, we all turned to see a yellow open topped jeep scream into the car park, radio blaring, As the dust settled, we could see that the scantily clad visitors were both sporting what looked like matching leopard print outfits, that barely covered their essentials, their perfect tans, hair and dentition complimented by their matching gaudy sunglasses.

 The instant that they came to a stop, she flicked down the sun visor, he adjusted the driving mirror, they preened themselves, glanced at the view, checked their iphones, giggled and within seconds sprayed gravel over a couple of campervans as they accelerated out of the car park, perhaps content that this cursory nod to nature had satisfied their quota for culture for another year, or, more likely, miffed that there were no burgers, despite the name of the venue.

Much shaking of heads and tut tutting ensued from us meerkats as we, turned our attention back to the terrific vista, but the mood lifted and we instantly forgot the intrusion, and several of us even laughed out loud, when an elderly Australian woman, whilst adjusting her binoculars, broke the silence when she quite loudly and acerbically muttered  ....  ’Wenkers’ ......   !!!!!

Later that day I was unfortunate enough to suffer an up close and personal experience with probably New Zealands’ most voracious carnivores.

On the advice of an old farmer, I visited a lake, that, he claimed, was a little known treasure and one of the only places in South Island where it was still possible to see original, indigenous forest. It was only a couple of miles off my route so I turned onto a gravel road and made my way there.

The lake was, like so much of this place .... stunning! Dark green conifers rose steeply from the waters edge and the mirror like surface of the crystal clear water reflected the blue sky and white clouds so photogenically, it had to be captured.

As I got out of the car, I noticed a young couple and their daughter appear from a forest path. Mum and dad were dressed in heavyweight wet gear and boots, hoods up and gloves on, whereas their daughter was, in my opinion, more appropriately dressed, as it was a lovely warm day, in a lightweight dress and sandals, but was acting, or probably more accurately I should say appeared to be dancing, rather strangely and I can only describe it as resembling a demented morris dancer, slapping her legs and arms wildly.

As I walked toward the lake edge, the young family came into earshot, and I could hear mum, unsympathetically tell the young girl that she was to blame for her plight, ‘You wouldn’t listen....we told you......it’s your own fault’ the moaning youngster was far to pre-occupied to argue and continued with her jerky, slapping routine.

I had by now walked the 10 metres to the lake shore and was framing my shot, I lifted the camera up and instantly everything fitted into place .........  the jerky, slappy movements ........  mum and dads clothing  ........  the girls’ unhappy and agitated demeanour ......... mum’s comments .......... why?? Because to my horror, both of my forearms were covered, and I mean they looked as if I had spread honey over them and plunged them into a vat of chocolate sprinkles .......... covered with SANDFLIES!!!!!

Now for those of you that don t know, and I had no idea myself, a New Zealand sandfly is a small, black, bloodsucking fly that feeds on birds and mammals and whose bite causes extreme itching. It can live in sand but tends to be around bushland, but always by water, and there are millions of them.

A moments research will reveal that they have been a source of major aggravation since Captain Cook arrived here and before that the Maori recorded their incredible propensity to irritate. The most effective solutions seem to be, weapons grade insect repellent, wear a nuclear protective suit or move out of New Zealand, because if they are about, they ARE going to get you!

I hadn‘t felt a thing, hadn’t seen a single one, but hell they had spotted me and were going to work and these chaps just keep on giving. I immediately abandoned, the photo shoot, brushed off as many as I could, and headed back to the car with a cloud of them in pursuit. I caught sight of the young family, and noticed that the youngster was now grizzling  I had immense sympathy for her, as my arms were already beginning to itch quite noticeably and if this is what they had done to me in a 10 metre walk across a grassy bank, what must it be like to have been out in the bush .... poor kid

Cursing the old farmer I headed off back down the gravel road to resume my journey, the itching increasing in intensity and then, suddenly, I was totally distracted from the fire that ate into my flesh as I was engulfed in a cloud of dust from a passing vehicle,  I heard a quick blast of cheesy disco music and then, I started smiling and then laughing to myself, because as the dust settled, I noticed in the mirror the decreasing outline of the yellow open top jeep as ‘Tarzan and Jane’ headed for their come uppance ...... all that bare flesh .........  they were going to be eaten alive!!!!!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment