Tuesday 9 July 2013

Thailand ....and on


Thailand ....and on

The next stage was a bit of filling in time and I knew exactly where to go to do this, I had a train to catch from Darwin, but not for a week or so, so I thought I would go and see my mate Jim.

Jim is a musician I met in Germany, many years ago, that had decided to try and find a place in the world for his later years, where he could live well and cheaply, without the hassle, or winters, of Germany, but still continue to play his music. He had opted for Thailand and was now in a little place outside Krabi called Ao Nang, he had invited me if ever I was in the area. I was, so that was where I headed.

Unfortunately, however, I now had, not only my foot giving me a bit of jip, but also had developed a ‘killer’ cold and turned up sniffing and spluttering feeling very sorry for myself. Of course for a guy that sings in a bar, 4 nights a week, for a living, having me turn up was like a visit from the tax man but, bless him, he made me most welcome and it was great to see him play through some of his enormous repertoire at the local beach bar.

Ao Nang is a pretty relaxed and laid back place at this time of year, but that was because it was approaching rainy season and capacity was probably down to about 30%, but things did get a bit heated one night down at the beach bar, when the hotel we were in caught fire!!

No matter how pretty and romantic Chinese Lanterns look, how it is possible for members of the public to buy a flying ’ fire bomb’ anywhere is beyond me. But on a beach, that is subject to onshore breezes, next to a large hotel, that has a bamboo thatch roof......really........?????

So whilst Jim was giving it his all with his rendition of Harry Chapin’s ‘Cat’s in the Cradle’ and I was helping to sort out the low season dip in lager sales for the hotel, we, along with the rest of the appreciative audience in the beach bar, were unaware that the roof of the building was well and truly ablaze. Fortunately the incident was contained within half an hour or so and we were able to return to an undamaged bar for an ironic burst of ‘Smoke on the water’, the hotel however lost three bedrooms through this lunacy, but it could have been a lot worse.

Jim introduced me to a few of his new mates, notably two Australians, Rick and Phil. Phil, a former 747 pilot, had some business to attend to in Bangkok and asked me if I fancied a couple of days with him there.

My initial plan had been to return to Bangkok to get my connection to Australia and to this end when I had travelled to Krabi I had booked a return flight. My plans had actually changed slightly and I was now going to fly to Darwin from Phuket which I could get to from Ao Nang by boat, and this meant that I was going to waste the flight back to Bangkok.

 I decided to go with Phil and then return to Ao Nang, for the sake of just the one way flight it would give me a chance to have a look at Bangkok with someone that used to live there (and give Jim some ‘germ free’ time, although by now my cold had all but gone).

The plan was fine in theory, but in reality, Phil’s business commitments and our attempts to track down some computer equipment for Jim, left us with little free day time whilst we there, but, in the night, we did get the chance to get out and in particular one evening had a really great night of jazz and good food at the appropriately named Saxophone Club.

On my return to Ao Nang, the weather had become a little more typical for the time of year and on the Sunday in particular I went to a local restaurant with another new friend, Chris from Melbourne, and we sat and watched an afternoon of torrential thunderstorms roll in off the sea from what had been, when we started, the best view in the area.

A couple of days later and it was time to take the trip to Phuket but unfortunately the weather caused the cancellation of the boat and I had to take the 5 hour mini bus option, lucky I was an old hand at this sort of thing, but this was just the start of another long travel stint.

I didn’t go to Phuket town, but rather to a convenient small hotel close to the airport. The evening was good fun with a couple of Welsh guys watching the Lions on tv and having my last in situ Thai dinner for a while.
On the subject of food I must admire the Thai ability to make a meal out of nearly anything .......  !!!
 
 

A pleasant an uneventful hour and a half or so and I was in Singapore for a tedious and seemingly never ending 11 hour wait.

Most modern airports have super facilities and Changi is one of the best, but 11 hours was hard work, and even then the worst was still to come!

I had been trying for a week or so to get some accommodation sorted out for myself in Darwin and there just seemed to be nothing available unless I was prepared to pay really big bucks. Five hours after leaving Singapore I found out why. Darwin was hosting the current round of the V8 Super Car tournament........uh?.......... exactly what I thought, but this is THE biggest event that this area hosts and hen’s teeth were as common as hairs on a dingo, compared to rooms to let under $500 (£350 ish) per night.

Put into the mix that the facilities in Darwin airport are seriously eclipsed by most Kwik Fit centres, the internet didn’t work and it was 4.30 ......... am!  I was not a happy bunny!

Six hours later the lady in the Information Centre fought to hold back the laugh when I asked for a room for two nights in Darwin and this was the story for the next five (!!) hours as I walked, (in 30 degrees of humid sunshine), carrying 30kg. of luggage and knocked doors, pleaded and even begged for a room anywhere, but nothing.

Pretty much resolved to having to pay $1000 for digs at The Marriott, I caught sight of some people going into a corner shop about 400 yards in front of me and decided that a bottle of water or even an ice cream and a taxi number would probably be available there. I just prayed it wasn’t a mirage

As I was nearly there, opposite the shop I noticed a broken sign, hidden behind a hedge, that read ‘Gecko Lodge’ and, with no optimism whatsoever, I crossed the road for the next refusal ..... which I duly got, from some stupid French git who was too busy working on his stupid tan to even get up off his stupid Gallic derriere to talk to me, but rather grunted “Non .... backpackers it finish” in a stupid, Monty Python-esque, accent from his stupid string hammock.

Of course my predicament was nothing to do with Monsieur Stupid, but I suddenly had an incredible urge to knock him back to Le Dordogne, but instead, bit my toungue, muttered something very rude and turned away, straight into a tall Thai man, who asked what was going on. Had I not been so exhausted I think I would probably have told him to ‘run along’, but I was, thankfully, too slow, and, it transpired, he had not finished his sentence, which concluded, ‘I am the owner’.

I explained as briefly (and emotionally) as possible my predicament and he explained that the only room that he had was awaiting redecoration after a long term let. I told him that I was desperate and then, this complete saviour offered me a room, for $120 provided I didn’t mind sharing a shower with a young German couple in the next room. I explained that I would share the bloody shower with Goebbels and Himmler and that $240 was fine and that I would give him cash, immediately, and then, to my surprise, he explained, $120 would be for 2 nights. What a result!!

The room was fine, the linen crisp and clean and the kids next door were a delight and started work 2 hours before I got up.

The next day was my chance to see Darwin and frankly there’s not really much to see and what there was, wasn’t up to much imho.

A lot is made of the fact that it was the only Australian city to be bombed in WW2, by the Japanese and the harbour area has some  interesting historical sites; a new waterfront development has transformed a previously tired, semi industrial wasteland and is now home to new apartments, bars, restaurants and an impressive lido with sufable waves; former fishing wharfs are used for fish and chip and fast food ‘sheds’ and the main drag, Mitchell Street, is where you find the Irish bars and steak houses.


 
And they do have the odd crocodile problem !!
 

Darwin does have a couple of good museums and art galleries and it is certainly a centre from which to explore - the National Parks are supposed to be fantastic -  but I didn’t have time for any of these unfortunately ........  I had a train to catch   .....

No comments:

Post a Comment